Tag: Brennan’s Creek

Logging

Click on an image below to view the gallery! Scroll below to read more information on Logging. As early as 1840 squared timber was floated down Brennan’s Creek (formerly Brudenell River and Brennan River) named for John Brennan the first

Posted in Logging Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Landmarks

Click on an image below to view the gallery!  The gallery below contains views of village streets throughout the 1900’s and aerial photos. If you have more information and/or photos of landmarks- please contact us!

Posted in Landmarks Tagged with: , , , , ,

Timeline

Killaloe and Area History Timeline 1840 John Brennan first lumberman to float square timber down Brennan’s Creek. 1850 Canadian government announces that it will promote immigration for the shield. 1851 Surveying begins for the Opeongo Colonization Road. 1856 Opeongo Road

Posted in Timeline Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Business

In 1893, with the arrival of the Ottawa Parry Sound Railway, the tiny settlement became an important supply depot for as many as eleven lumber camps. Many businesses were established to meet the needs of the booming lumber industry. The

Posted in Business, History Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Killaloe and District Building Architecture

 Masonry block buildings- common in Killaloe during two separate time periods, were constructed using locally manufactured materials.  The Hoch farmhouse at the junction of hwy 60 and hwy 512, and the building at 183 Queen Street (Grandma’s Pantry)- not pictured

Posted in Architecture, Business, History Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,