Click on an image below to view the gallery! More information on St.Andrew’s Parish can be found by scrolling below the gallery, and by clicking on the following link: st-andrews-parish-killaloe-on

« of 2 »

For more information on the following churches:

-Anglican Church of the Ascension (Mill St.)

-Calvary Baptist Church (Queen St.)

-Grace Evangelical Missionary Church (Hwy 60)

-St.Andrew’s Roman Catholic Church (Queen St.)

Refer to Martin Garvey’s “A History of Killaloe Station”, page 27- found in the ‘History’ category.

Second photo is of the Beresford Hotel on Lake Street, in Killaloe. 

In 1893, with the arrival of the Ottawa Parry Sound Railway, the tiny settlement became an important supply depot for as many as eleven lumber camps. Many businesses were established to meet the needs of the booming lumber industry.

The first business in Killaloe-built by William McDonell in 1868, was a water-powered sawmill on Brennan’s Creek, where the covered bridge now stands.

Other early businesses included blacksmiths, wagon makers, milliners, barbers, liquor agent, general merchants, livery operators and inn keepers.

More information regarding early business in Killaloe can be found by clicking on the ‘History’ category on the homepage of this site.

 Masonry block buildings- common in Killaloe during two separate time periods, were constructed using locally manufactured materials. 

The Hoch farmhouse at the junction of hwy 60 and hwy 512, and the building at 183 Queen Street (Grandma’s Pantry)- not pictured below- are two examples of a building style common in Killaloe in the early and mid 1900’s. The masonry veneer blocks were made in Killaloe by George Yourth who owned and operated a portable mold and mixer. 

Later, in the 1960’s William (Bert) Keetch manufactured masonry cement blocks in a small block plant in Killaloe. These blocks were used extensively in construction throughout the village and surrounding areas for foundations and for commercial, industrial and residential structures.

Click on an image below to view the gallery!

Click on an image below to view the gallery! 

Story by Joan Finnigan about the Opeongo Line.

Click on an image below to view the gallery!