In 1893, with the arrival of the Ottawa Parry Sound Railway, the tiny settlement became an important supply depot for as many as eleven lumber camps. Many businesses were established to meet the needs of the booming lumber industry.

The first business in Killaloe-built by William McDonell in 1868, was a water-powered sawmill on Brennan’s Creek, where the covered bridge now stands.

Other early businesses included blacksmiths, wagon makers, milliners, barbers, liquor agent, general merchants, livery operators and inn keepers.

More information regarding early business in Killaloe can be found by clicking on the ‘History’ category on the homepage of this site.