Masonry block buildings- common in Killaloe during two separate time periods, were constructed using locally manufactured materials.
The Hoch farmhouse at the junction of hwy 60 and hwy 512, and the building at 183 Queen Street (Grandma’s Pantry)- not pictured below- are two examples of a building style common in Killaloe in the early and mid 1900’s. The masonry veneer blocks were made in Killaloe by George Yourth who owned and operated a portable mold and mixer.
Later, in the 1960’s William (Bert) Keetch manufactured masonry cement blocks in a small block plant in Killaloe. These blocks were used extensively in construction throughout the village and surrounding areas for foundations and for commercial, industrial and residential structures.
Click on an image below to view the gallery!